Friday, July 22, 2011

Kisai Kaidoku Designer Tynan Mayhew Interview

Recently, Tokyoflash Japan released the Kisai Kaidoku, a watch that was designed by 15 year old Tynan Mayhew. Tynan was kind enough to provide an interview exclusively to Tokyoflash Reviews. Here is what he had to say!
Kisai Kaidoku


Tokyoflash Reviews: What was your initial reaction to having your watch made a reality? How did your friends and family react?
Tynan: My friends and family were excited to see what it would look like, and my parents told me that they were quite proud. My initial reaction to having my watch made was thinking that it was just an April Fool's joke. However, once I realized that it was serious, I was ecstatic!
Tokyoflash Reviews: Did you submit any conceptual drawings or pictures of the Kaidoku or did you send in the idea by itself?
Tynan: I submitted a simple drawing along with a short description to the Tokyoflash design blog. They can be seen in the Concept To Reality section on the blog, and the original post, respectively.
Tokyoflash Reviews:  How did you come up with the idea for the Kaidoku? Did you have any specific inspiration?
Tynan: I came up with the idea while thinking of something that would reflect the Tokyoflash style, yet still be original. I'd have to say my inspiration was Tokyoflash itself, and a text clock screensaver on my computer, although displaying time in a slightly different fashion.
Tokyoflash Reviews:  How long did you work on the design?
Tynan: To be honest, the actual drawing and description took me only around an hour in total. I did come up with the idea in the summer, but it wasn't until early September that I submitted it.
Tokyoflash Reviews: How many designs have you submitted to the Design Studio Blog?
Tynan: So far, this has been the only design I have sent in.
Kisai Kaidoku black and blue on the left and white and purple on the right


Tokyoflash Reviews: How long have you been a fan to Tokyoflash Japan?
Tynan: I have been a fan of this unique watch company for about a year now, as I stumbled across the Tokyoflash website in search of a new watch last summer.
Tokyoflash Reviews: What do you do in your free time?
Tynan: In my free time I enjoy photography, karate, soccer, and above all, spending time with my beautiful girlfriend.
Tokyoflash Reviews: Besides the Kaidoku, out of current and past watches, what is your favorite Tokyoflash Japan watch?
Tynan: I have two favourite watches, the Trip the Light Fantastic, and the RPM.
Tokyoflash Reviews:  Can we look forward to any future designs being submitted by you?
Tynan: Yes, I do plan to submit more designs to the Tokyoflash design blog.
Tokyoflash Reviews: Out of all the different variations of the Kaidoku, which is your favorite?
Tynan: Out of the four different colours, the black watch and blue display combination is my favourite.
Tokyoflash Reviews: How long did it take for the Kaidoku to be fully produced from the time Tokyoflash contacted you about the Kaidoku? Would you care to elaborate on the communication that took place between you and Tokyoflash?
Tynan: The watch was released just over 2 months after I was first contacted in regards to my design. Basically, I was asked if my design could be used, and if I would allow myself to be put on a commission for the sales. The design process was explained to me; the case, module, and strap had to be made separately, and once they were assembled, a sample was sent to Tokyoflash for approval. Once it passed, mass production would begin.
Tokyoflash Reviews: Finally, since you have the attention of Tokyoflash Japan fans, is there anything you would like to add about yourself or the Kaidoku?
Tynan: There isn't much left to say about myself or the watch, but I would like to thank Tokyoflash for making this watch, as well as everyone who voted on its design. I encourage all fans to try their hand at designing their own watch. Who knows, maybe yours will be the next one made!
Tokyoflash Reviews: Thanks for the interview Tynan! Good luck on future designs!
If you would like to purchase the Kisai Kaidoku, it is a very reasonable $139. The Kaidoku qualifies for free shipping and is available in four color variations: black and blue, white and green, white and purple, and white and blue. The direct link to the Kisai Kaidoku is http://www.tokyoflash.com/en/watches/kisai/kaidoku/

No comments:

Post a Comment